那些我們曾經共同建立的 II - 量化的距離 The Things That We Ever Built Together II - Distance

 















那些我們曾經共同建立的 II - 量化的距離

The Things That We Ever Built Together II - Distance

Action Documentation, Dimension Variable

Taiwan

2014



If the distance of our relationship can be altered due to the living spaces, or be lengthened or shortened over time (This is indeed the case), is it possible to reinvent our feelings regarding the distance among different relationships? The above is my initial motivation for creating this work.

I started at one end of a bridge and wrote these words on my palm with a black pen: ‘Our Distance (in Chi: 我們的距離)’. While slowly walking across the bridge, I tried to scrub away the word ‘distance’ on my palm. After reaching the opposite end of the bridge, the words were completely removed and only ‘Us (我們)’ remained.

With the ‘Distance’ presented as text written in black ink, in other words, becoming an actually touchable even graspable concept, it then became tangibly quantifiable. At the same time, The action of my finger scrubbing while I walked on the bridge is also similar to the ceremony or gesture of praying to the god that provides consolation.